Thursday, March 29, 2007

My best friend's nuke strikes back


To absolutely no one's surprise, early Emmy buzz is building for Jarrod's nuke shot for 24 (contrary to what I originally posted, the actual noms won't be in until much later this year). Also, there's a long-ish video interview with him here in which he explains how he did it. If hypervoxels, point clouds, and combustion effects light your fire, you'll love it.

That's not Jarrod's nuke above. That's the 13.7 kiloton Redwing Seminole shot at Eniwetak Atoll in 1956. I just put it in cuz it rocks.

Also, I just realized that the word "shot" as used above has two very different meanings. "Jarrod's nuke shot" means camera shot; "shot" is also used in nuclear testing to mean the detonation of a single bomb, as in "Redwing Seminole shot". So the photo above is a camera shot of a test shot. I guess if the photo had been made as a preview or to check settings, it would have been a test shot of a test shot.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that nukes are awesome. Scary, yes, terrible, yes, but as long as they are used infrequently in uninhabited areas, and as long as I get to watch, I've got no problems with them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home